Download our free Resume Ebook

Asked by Andrew on October 10, 2017

How should I respond to someone who keeps pending a job offer. I interviewed and was told that they are interested and working on an offer. I was very excited. I waited a week before I followed up, and the recruiter told me they were still working on the offer. Its now to the point where this has gone on for over a month. Should I send an email questioning if the offer is still being made, or move on?

Answered by Dean, Hiring Expert at Archer Daniels Midland, on October 17, 2017

Hi, That is a tough one.  While some times it does take a while for the approvals, a month seems a bit longer than normal to approve an offer.  I would recommend you reach out to the recruiter and ask if there is still a possible opportunity with them, it is only fair.  I would also consider other opportunities, unless you fully understand the reason for the offer delay and really are interested in the organization.

Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Tony, Hiring Expert at Hill-Rom, on October 18, 2017

Hello. This is a great question because even though it seems like a pretty straightforward process sending an offer out, there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes before it can be extended. Like Dean said in the previous answer, the approval process could be holding up the offer. There could be up to 5 or so leaders that need to give the offer their blessing before the recruiter has the go ahead to send an offer out. This could be held up for any number of reasons such as; someone being out of the office, evaluating the offer details, budgetary reasons, temporary hiring freeze, etc. I understand that you don’t want to come off as pushy but I do think it is fair to reach out to the recruiter to try and gain an understanding of where the offer stands. We owe you an explanation just as we would hope you would be up front and honest with us regarding any other potential offers you may have. I would suggest reaching out and pursuing other opportunities in the meantime because nothing is guaranteed until you receive that formal offer letter. If you happen to get into a situation where you have two potential offers I would be upfront with both companies and weigh your options. I hope this helps!

Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Stephanie, Hiring Expert at AT&T Inc., on November 2, 2017

How badly do you want this particular job?  If it is your dream job, you are in a really small industry or you just out right want it, then wait it out.  Continue to follow up, expressing your continued interest, sharing that you are willing to wait and do what it takes to make it happen. 

I wish there were consistencies across all hiring organizations that we could promise you, but that's not how it goes. 

Always ask as many questions about what you can expect - timelines, contacts to expect, preferred methods of follow up.

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?